Sunday, March 21, 2021

Crowfield Spellbook Update #2

My last update on the Crowfield campaign’s spellboook was at the end of January. I thought it was time for another update.

  • The first chapter is 95% done. It needs:
    • A small section explaining how to convert spells. This way if someone wants to use the system in their own campaign but needs spells that I didn’t add (maybe from a module or a magazine article), they can covert it themselves.
    • A small section about how to read the spell descriptions.
    • The whole chapter needs to be edited to change the “voice” (see below).
  • The spells need a third pass:
    • I need to add the thief spells.
    • There are a few spells that are used by both magic-users and clerics that I combined as a single write up. I want to separate those into separate versions for each class.
    • The whole chapter needs to be edited to change the “voice” (see below).
  • Appendices: I’ve added appendices incorporating the magical thief class, monsters never miss, and talents. These just need a final editing pass. I should probably add the monsters never save information.

It’s weird to me that the more work I’ve done, the longer my “to do” list is.

The Voice

My initial draft wrote everything in the third person. This is very typical in rulebooks, but as I was adding the appendices (which were originally written for the blog), I decided I liked the second person narration better. It might be because my 7th grade English teacher made it a challenge when she said that second person narration wasn’t possible, but it’s probably because I like the more concise and less formal feeling to it:

Third Person Second Person
At the lower levels, the Magic-User can only levitate himself, moving vertically up or down, but the spell itself provides no assistance with lateral movement. A wall, cliff side, or ceiling could, of course, be used to pull along hand-over-hand. Levitation allows up- or downward movement at a rate of up to 6 squares per turn, and the caster cannot levitate more than the spell’s range limit from the ground level. At the lower levels, you can only levitate yourself, moving vertically up or down, but the spell itself provides no assistance with lateral movement. You can use a wall, cliff side, or ceiling to a pull yourself along. Levitation allows you to move up or down at 6 squares per turn, and you cannot levitate more than the range limit from the ground level.

That means I’m having to go through the whole book and update it.

Current page count is 85 pages.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update!
    I will say, I agree that the second person voice sounds more natural and engaging. Makes the text feel more personal.
    Also, congrats on the progress so far!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.