Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Riddle's Answer

This is the middle of one of my twelve day workweeks, so this post will be short.

Seven weeks ago, I posted a riddle of sorts.

Click this map to make it bigger!

I said that somewhere on that map was an undiscovered secret door opening into an undiscovered room, and I asked you to tell me where it was.

Two people sent me answers. One person got it on the first try, and the other person made about 6 guesses and never got it.

The “clue” is that the left and right sides of the map are symmetrical, except that they’re “flipped” along the horizontal axis. So if you leave the eastern “triangle room” (coordinates 21-09) and walk south to the end of the hall, at coordinates 21-16 you have doors to the left and the right. But if you leave the western “triangle room” (coordinates 09-16) and walk north to the end of the hall, at coordinates 09-10 you only have a door to the left; the door to the right is “missing!”

So the secret door connects square 09-10 to square 10-10.

Because someone was able to get it, I think this trick is safe to use in my dungeon. The difference is that the map there is a lot bigger, thus requiring careful mapping by the party to figure it out.  BUt good mapping should be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.