Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Administrative Note: Comment Moderation

Remember that time that Paul Revere rode through the village, shouting “The spammers are coming! The spammers are coming!”?

They’re here.

Twice in the last 3 days a bot has posted spam comments on posts that were a couple weeks old. The posts were for a soccer betting site. Oddly enough, they were written in Thai (thank you Google translate!). Who knew that the Vagabond GM was so popular there?

I’ve deleted the posts, so you won’t see them. But if you were subscribed by email, they may have gotten through.

An Ounce of Prevention

So to get around this, I’ve turned on comment moderation for posts that are more than a week or so old. That means you can comment on this week’s post normally, but if you comment on an older post the comment will be invisible until I approve it.

If they start spamming on newer posts, I’ll make the moderation universal.

On the plus side, that means that I was able to turn on “anonymous” comments. That means that you no longer need to be logged into a Google account in order to leave a comment.

Please Comment

Finally, this is just a plea for comments. Not on this post, but in general. I have a genuine love and passion for gaming, and I love creating stuff like this. But I thrive on feedback… good, bad, or indifferent. Right now I have three people that send me regular feedback (one that leaves comments, the others e-mail me). Either way, let me know what you think, and let me know that I’m not shouting out into the void.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.