Sunday, August 28, 2022

Moana: A Campaign Idea

I talked before about my desire for game world settlements to be few and far between in order to force the player characters to travel through "untamed wilderness" between towns.  In that same post I talked about a part of my game world called "Okeanos." 

Okeanos is an archipelago. Players would travel from island to island in ships. The idea is based on Homer's Odyssey. As such the ships, weapon, armor, and cultures are all based on bronze age Greek mythology.

I also talked before about my desire to run a campaign set in the Stone Age.

Today I'm in Hawai'i, and the though occurred to me to marry those two desires. My working title is Moana (Moe-AH-nah), the Hawaiian word for "Ocean." 

The technology, ships, and cultural lifestyle would be a very fictionalized and fantastic version of what we know of pre-European contact Polynesia, just like most RPGs are very fictionalized and fantastic versions of medieval Europe. I would develop a new theology from scratch to avoid trivializing anyone's real life beliefs. 

A quick search has already shown me a good article that talks about the weapons of Ancient Hawai'i.

What do you think of the idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.