Monday, January 19, 2015

The Problem With Too Much Color

Like every other world-building GM, I like to add color to my campaign. But this is something that needs to be held in check, because there's a point where the color interferes with the play of the game. If you've ever read World of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or any source book for the Traveller universe, you probably know what I mean.

Whether or not the following is a transcript of a real life gaming session, and whether or not I was the GM in question are mysteries than mankind may never know the answer to.

PLAYER
(intently making plans)
What time of year is it?

GM
(gleefully) 
It's the 19th of day of Fairy Song!
PLAYER
(out of immersion)
What the freak is that?
GM
(eyes wide with excitement)
Well, eons ago, when the first Elven queen was coronated, there was...
(Camera pans to the clock which speeds up to show the passage of 23 minutes as the GM's voice cross-fades with itself...)

GM
(triumphantly)
...and ever since then this month has always been known as Fairy Song!
Player
(nearly asleep on the table)
Dude! I just wanted to know if it was hot or cold outside!
(beat)
...AND I STILL DON'T KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.