Thursday, June 14, 2012

Google Hangouts

One of the reasons this blog is called "Just another Vagabond GM" is that, like any other vagabond, I constantly wander around, not settling anywhere too long.  Instead of wandering physically, though, I wander from game system to game system and from play method to play method.

My preferred play method is face to face.  That's difficult when the players and the GM are 400 miles apart. Over the years I've used various "virtual tabletop" solutions, and I'm currently using the Sorcery.net IRC network with some custom die-rolling scripts that I wrote for rbot. Online methods are great in many ways, but they have the disadvantage of being horribly slow.

I recently read that Google Hangout has an interface that I could use to write a die-rolling app for that.  I think that might be a solution.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, we've had a recent increase in spam. To address this, I've turned on comment moderation for posts that are over a week old. You can still comment (please do!), but the comment might be invisible until I make it public. This will usually be within 24 hours. Sorry.